Ever since visiting Rasmussen Farms and eating their delicious hand pies I’ve been itching to make some of my own. The brown butter makes this treat HEAVENLY. Next time I will be trying this with pears. We made 15 hand pies from the recipe below, but we could have stretched it a little bit as my crust was a little too thick. We had plenty of apple filling left over, which turned out to be a tasty treat on it’s own. Both Mimi and I were snacking on the filling while assembling the pies.
WARNING: Too many of these hand pies and your clothes will shrink!
Pie Dough: Yields enough for two 9″ pies, takes about 10 minutes
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
2/3 cup ice cold water
1) In a food processor combine flour, sugar, and salt.
2) Add butter until mixture becomes like pea-size pieces.
3) Drizzle the ice cold water and pulse until just moistened.
4) Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and lightly knead to combine the dry crumbs.
5) Divide dough in half and form into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Brown Butter Apple Filling: Yields enough for 15-18 pies, takes about an hour
4 med apples, approximately 1.5 lbs, peeled, cored, and thinly chopped
.25 cup packed brown sugar
.25 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
.5 cup unsalted butter
1 egg, for egg wash
1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
2) Combine apples, sugars, flour, and lemon juice in a bowl.
3) Heat butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until browned and then stir into apple mixture.
4) On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough to approximately 1/8 inch thick.
5) Cut out 4″ circles from the dough, re-rolling the scraps as necessary.
6) Whisk together the egg and water to make the egg wash and brush the circles with the wash.
7) Scoop about .25 cup of apple filling onto the center of each circle. Then fold each circle in half, pinch the seams to seal closed.
8) Transfer the pies to the baking sheets, placing them approximately 1″ apart. Brush the top of the pies with egg wash.
9) Bake 30 minutes or until golden. Cools for 15 minutes.